Everything happened just the way we hoped: I went into labor spontaneously, it went pretty fast, we were surrounded by loved ones and they were there to welcome her, too. She came into the world with a party of people who couldn't wait to hold her, love her, pray for her. Labor was pretty peaceful. I got an epidural at 7 cm's. My water was broken a couple hours later and she was out soon after. All that water I had in there served a great purpose in creating the pressure to help me dilate. She weighed 3 pounds, 9 ounces and was 15 1/4 inches long.
She looked a lot like her big sister Eden - perfect little rose-bud lips, cute little chin, chubby little cheeks, blue eyes and a perfect little nose. The back of her head was really nothing I expected...she had a lot of flesh in there. For whatever reason I thought it would be somewhat hollow and misshapen but it was actually pretty round. Everything else on her body was absolute perfection in size and shape. I've never seen feet that cute and little, her little hands had such perfect little fingers.
At the time she came out all I could think was, "How in the world am I going to be able to let them take her away from me?" but as the hours went on and she started steadily turning purple, cold and her limbs more and more stiff and hard to move it became obvious that she wasn't there anymore. Her perfectly petite body no longer had her spirit in it and it became harder for me to hold her.
The first person to hold her after Joe and me was Eden. It was the sweetest meeting I've ever witnessed (and most heart-breaking, I might add). She was so excited to see her baby sister. She couldn't stop caressing her little chubby cheeks and giving her little hugs and kisses. While holding her she said she had doll clothes she wanted to put on her. I reminded her that Cayla wasn't coming home and that she was going to Heaven. She said, "Already?? Oh, I will miss her. That means I won't get to see her for a really long time." She also sang Cayla "Jesus Loves Me" and then as Eden and Jonas were leaving the room Eden gave Cayla one last kiss and said sadly, "I'll see you in Heaven."
I thank God for answering my prayers for physical relief at the time He did. I was so very tired and in so much pain from the weight of all that extra fluid. I was also ready to let Cayla go. She is now in the arms of Jesus in her new body and is truly "unblemished" in his presence. I miss her desperately and can't get the image of her little body out of my mind and know the healing process is going to be long and hard but I also know we're not alone.
When I get things together, I'll post pics and maybe some video, too.
Love, Carly
16 comments:
Guys, I love you both so much and I am always thinking of you and praying for you. I cried last night after getting the news off of your Facebook post. My heart aches for you. I am sorry I can't get away to be there with you, but I hope to visit you soon. You are my hero.
i'm sitting here bawling...carly, i am in awe of you. i was praying for you last night so much. i will keep praying for peace and God's strength to surround you and Joe (and all your family). and bless little Eden...my goodness, what a Godly little girl you are raising!
I am also in awe of you and your family Carly. I the word love has a new meaning for me because of you.
Marilyn
Thank you so much for sharing this with us Carly! I loved reading about Eden's sweet words to her baby sister! You are so strong and really and inspiration to me. I can't wait to see some pictures of beautiful little Cayla!
Oh my God. Really. I'm bawling too. To know that your prayers were answered regarding the delivery is a not-so-surprising surprise. God is so good!
I admire your strength and courage so much. I can't imagine. I can NOT imagine going through what you've gone through and your faith is so strong. How tragic for what it would be like without God helping you all through this.
This post made me want to hug you and Eden so bad. I love you and miss you. So much more through this joy and crisis of Cayla's short life. I can't wait to see her pictures.
Love,
jen }i{
What a beautiful story of life and death. You are in our thoughts and prayers daily.
You are the most inspiring couple I have ever met. Thank you SO much for writing on your blog. Your raw feelings typed in words, are just amazing. A true testament of your love for each other, your children and our God. I can't wait to see pictures of that perfect little angel. Thinking about her up in Heaven certainly brings mixed feelings...for everyone, I am sure. We will be dropping off food soon for you and your family :) Hugs to the Howarths.
I do not know you but have read your story which brought me to tears. I hope it brings some comfort to you to know that many are sharing your sorrow and that you are truly an inspiration to us all with your faith and courage. My deepest sympathy to you and your family. You will all be in my prayers.....
What a beautiful story. I'm glad Cayla's birth went smoothly and you were able to spend time together as a family. We'll be praying for you all.
Wishing you love and peace ALWAYS. You are truly an amazing women! Love Always, Corey & Shannon
You are in my prayers! May the Lord continue to show His love to you in this difficult time.
Leela
Thank you so much for posting Carly - that was such a beautiful description of you daughter!! and so heartwarming to hear about Eden's interaction with her. We will definitely be praying for healing for all of you.
You don't know me but I've been praying for you and your family. I know Val from college. I will lift you up in prayer diligently and am so sorry for your suffering. I am so relieved and thankful that we have an eternal hope that will bring beauty from ashes. How terrible if we didn't know that ultimately, in Heaven, this story will have a joyful and beautiful ending. But we DO have that confidence. Blessings to all of you. Kate Bartels
Love you. So amazed by God's grace and strength in you.
Carly, God is certainly using you in this difficult journey you are on. You have been such an inspiration to so many others, and I know He will continue to use you as you meet others going through similar circumstances. I am so blessed to know you, and to call you "friend."
So glad our God is a Comforter! Praying for you, Carly! YOU are an amazing woman, wife and mother.
Post a Comment