Sunday, September 21, 2008

Pretty Much Devastated

Hi everyone,
Sorry...I can't believe it's been about two months since my last post. I've been dealing with quite a lot trying to make breastfeeding a possibility for Jonas and me. He's had surgery to try to correct his frenulum (the little thing underneath our tongues --if it's too tight, babies basically can't suckle in a way that gets milk out of the breast) and cranial sacral therapy to correct his pallet, which was shaped like a dome. And then let's not forget the crazy supplementation regimen in place to try and make it all work out in the end. Well, I've been exhausted and unfortunately all my hard work, calls on specialists, doctor's appointments, money spent and prayers said, it's just not working out. I've all but given up on the hope that we'll ever get to have the same experience I had with Eden (who never had one drop of formula, I might add).
I had Jonas evaluated again Friday afternoon and he suckled at my breast for 20 minutes or so and was only able to extract 3/10 of an ounce. Most babies can get at least a few ounces in that time. It's just not realistic at this point to sit all day long to try to train him how to eat. I have a two-year-old who also needs love and attention for crying out loud.
Now I know what you were going through, Bethany. And I'm going to have to do the same thing: pump and give him whatever milk I can get out and supplement with formula for the rest. It's not what I want but I've seriously tried all I can to help him "get it". I'm so sad but at least he's getting the food he needs to gain weight and be healthy. There was an immediate change in his demeanor and skills (such as smiling, cooing, etc.) once he was getting enough to eat. I can't be selfish and let him suffer for what I had hoped for.
On another note, I have some making up to do with my posts and I'll start with Eden's second birthday, which was the first week of August. It was so fun and I can't believe how big she is.

3 comments:

Karen said...

Hi Carly - Haven't talked to you in a really long time but wanted to say congratulations on Jonas' birth and sorry about the breastfeeding. I know how you feel - as you may remember I struggled with Jack for over a month before I had to give up breastfeeding. Many tears were shed over that decision, but I was able to pump for him and he actually didn't get any formula until 8 months when demand surpassed supply. Right now I'm hoping things will work out better with my #2 due in January. So know that I sympathize and will be praying for you to be at peace with your decision.

Karen Capasso (& Jack) from Breastfeeding Support Group a long time ago ...

Carly said...

Thanks, Karen! I have totally thought about you many times while going through this. I appreciate your encouragement and hopefully number two will be easier. Does Jack still have all that crazy hair?

Unknown said...

No one can doubt your dedication and love for your baby boy! You have been such a trooper - and I so admire all you've done to stick with it. You are right to give him what he needs to stay healthy.

We just had a hospital roommate this week who was misdiagnosed as an infant and they did not realize he had a condition that caused his brain to not get enough food/sugar. Now at eight months, he has suffered permanent neurological damage and is not developing normally.

As a mommy, I understand your sadness about the breastfeeding experience, but I'm so glad you have help and good medical attention and advice. Praise the Lord for wisdom and knowledge that can help Jonas in the big picture of his life.