Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Life as a Family of Four













So far, so good. Here is our first picture together with Jonas. He was about 15 minutes old.

There's nothing like giving birth and looking at your child for the first time and getting to hold him or her. And this time it was much more relaxed and without the drama of a long, drawn out labor. I feel great (except for the no sleeping part) and Joe, Eden, Jonas and I are getting into a rhythm. I was actually able to cook Eden dinner, feed Jonas, bathe Eden and myself, get her ready and dressed for bed (including two books!) and all without losing my mind with Jonas screaming in the background tonight. I've realized that there's only so much I can do. If I had go-go gadget arms I could reach down the hall and into his room to put the pacifier in his mouth (AGAIN!) but I don't so I guess he'll have to learn how to work it out on his own. He's showing signs of being a thumb sucker like his sister so hopefully that pans out for my sake!
Many have asked how Eden is handling all of this. Well, the short version is great. The longer...well...not so great at times. She loves Jonas, don't get me wrong. When he cries, she runs to his side and sings him a song or tells me he needs his binky or throws a diaper on him. No, literally on him as if that makes it all better. But she is very gentle, very sweet and loves to hold him. On the other hand, she has been acting out like crazy. Her favorite phrase is, "No way! Never!" I don't even know where she heard that. Seriously, I am really pretty good at modeling and watching my mouth around her. It's not even so much the words (which are pretty funny you have to admit) but the stinky little attitude that comes out with the words. Talk about time-out land! And she used to be really great about time-outs, too. I would seriously not have to say a word and just point to the time out carpet and she'd walk there without a peep and sit down and do her time. Now you have to physically move her to it and practically threaten her to stay for two measley minutes while she's kicking and screaming and saying, "No! No! No!" the whole time she's there. I mean hello?! That's what you got busted for in the first place don't you think you should just keep your mouth shut? Apparently not...so pray for us! All I can think in those moments is, "What happened to my sweet, compliant little girl?" I can't decide if it's just that she's going to be turning two this week or her adjusting to having Jonas around or a combination of both.
The second picture is what Daddy does while he's letting me get some extra sleep in the morning. Joe is a fantastic daddy --he always makes the most of having fun with the kiddos.

2 comments:

Carrie Peña said...

I love these pictures. I love the "over the bed" picture- and in black and white- so beautiful.

Carolyn Joyce said...

ohhh, i love your new blog posts. so fun to see and read. love you guys.