Sunday, January 8, 2012

So much for that...

I was looking forward to 2012 being the year of rest, kind of a hum-ho go-with-the-flow, enjoy every moment kind of year.  I want to be intentional about spending time with long-lost (but not forgotten) friends, take time out to "create" (I got a Cricut for Christmas!!!), work in the yard --for fun, not just busting my butt when we're having company over; you know --spend time on what Eugene Peterson calls "nothing useful."  Lots of playing so that I can be more invigorated to do my work, so my heart can take in more of God, so I can love others better.  Right now I just feel like this has been shattered.  I am in a "funk".  I know I don't really believe it's all over, but it certainly feels like it in this moment.

Last Wednesday Joe and I took Eden in for a consult with a plastic surgeon to talk about options for the nevus on her face.  He recommended a skin graft.  This amounts to major surgery for our poor baby Eden -- a week in the hospital (being mostly sedated for at least a few days), a 6 week recovery after she's home.  No summer fun for the Howarth's.  Not to mention we'll need to shell out over $3,000 to pay for it...there goes our 2012 trip to Hawaii!  Money is just money, though.  God always provides so we're not really concerned about that.

Unfortunately, the outcome will not be perfect and there are so many questions flying around in my head: Just how bad will the scar be?  Will the harvested skin "take"?  What if it doesn't?!?  What if the graft turns yellow as she ages (common)?  Is this really worth it...trading one malady for another?  Isn't she perfect just the way she is?  If we decide to leave it how will that negatively impact her life in the long-run?  If I put myself in her place what would I want?  Aren't there any other options?  How come tissue expansion hasn't been brought up (longer, harder road but possibly a better outcome)?  How much time will Joe and I have to take off from work?  The list goes on and on and on.  I've already spent hours scouring the internet, reading journal articles (bo-ring!), contacting others who have dealt with this in their own lives to get their take.  One thing is for sure: Eden doesn't want it there any longer.  And being a girl, I totally get it!   If we go ahead with surgery, waiting longer doesn't give us any sort of advantage --the younger her skin, the more regenerative.  For a number of reasons, laser treatment is no longer a viable option for what Eden has.  Lots of research has shown that it doesn't work/is more detrimental to her well being than not.  Because of these findings, most insurance carriers are no longer covering laser treatment for congenital nevi.

Please, please please pray for us.  Pray that we'll get in touch with just the right doctors for the job, that they would be advocates for Eden's total well-being (body and mind), that we can hear God's voice in this clearly and make well-informed decisions.  

Eden the Shepherdess

3 comments:

brandigirl said...

I love you Carly. Praise God your baby girl has parents like you to make tough decisions for her. You have been through so much that you won't just trust everything your told, but research options and ask questions. It is going to be a year with plenty of family time. Time to stop and just be a family. Plus, your long lost but not forgotten friends may bring you meals if you decide on an option that includes a 6 week recovery, praying for you.
Brandi

Carly said...

Thanks, Brandi. Love you!

Unknown said...

Eden's name and photo magnet are on our little prayer board! Difficult medical decisions are not fun, but in the long run, God is always wise and good. As with Kelsey, in this case there may not be a *perfect* outcome with any choice, and yet our Heavenly Father is there to guide us with His wisdom to make the best choice we can. Love to you...