Monday, June 8, 2009

We need prayer

Today has undoubtedly been one of the most terrible days of our lives.  We were told that our third child will not live once she is outside of my womb.  She has a neural tube defect called anencephaly, which means she has not grown a brain or a skull.  She has a normal face and other body parts as well as a strong heart but of course, that will not be enough for survival.  The choices we were given today were to abort or go ahead with the pregnancy and maybe get a few minutes to hold our baby before she goes to be with Jesus.  
This happens due to the neural tube not closing properly around the fourth week of life.  Research has shown that often times it is caused from not having enough B Vitamins (folic acid) in your system in the early weeks of development.  However, this is typically when you find out you're pregnant and are just starting to take prenatal vitamins so they assured me there was nothing I could've done to prevent or stop this from happening.  Yeah like that makes me feel better.    
We believe that God is the author and finisher of life and for whatever reason He created our baby like this.  Like all things in life, good and bad, this in some way is for His glory.  But it still sucks.  Big time.  We are devastated and need a lot of love and prayer.  The thought of having a funeral instead of a birthday party is heart breaking to say the least.  To know the baby moving around inside of me, being nourished and kept alive in the safety of my womb will never suckle at my breast makes me want to just ball up and cry like a baby.  
We understand that this is something that people are going to have a hard time with; no one knows what to say to parents going through things like this.  So don't feel like you have to try to make us feel better with words because there just aren't any that will ever suffice.  A hug, prayers, and perhaps some listening ears at times will be the tools God uses to heal our family.  We don't know what the grieving process is going to look like or really what to expect --we just know it's not going to be easy.  Right now we're in a state of shock and disbelief.  But life must go on.  Thankfully we have many good reasons to rejoice when times are tough and two very fun kids who make us smile and laugh every day.  Eden and Jonas were the best medicine Joe and I could've had today.  
We are being placed under the care of a perinatologist and will have to be more closely monitored from here on out and should expect lots of appointments, meetings, and tests.  We were told our daughter can die at any time but that there is a good chance that she could go full term since her heart and other vital organs are intact and seem to be working well.  Obviously we don't know much at this point and we'll find out more as we go.  
Please pray for guidance, wisdom, peace, hope and that we will bring honor to God in these tough times.  
-Joe and Carly 
Here is a link with more information: http://www.anencephalie-info.org/index.php

15 comments:

Carly said...

Carly- I love you so much and am so blessed to have you as my loving wife...God continues to show me that our love for one another is nowhere near its potential. I am so very sorry that this sudden turn of events is a reality for our little family but I have full confidence that God will shine throughout the next days & months as we seek Him. For whatever reason(s) He has chosen us to go through this difficult time together as a testament to His glory, and I will be with you every step of the way. Just know that I admire your passion, love, and amazing reliance on God. Never lose that focus of yours. I love you!!!!! XOXOXO Seeking Him to repair our broken hearts, Love, Joseph

jen }i{ said...

You are right. I have no idea what words to share from my heart but my tears are pouring for you all. Carly, I love you so much and wish I could be there to give you a hug. Maybe more for me than for you :)

A couple shared their testimony at our church on May 2/3, ask me if you'd like the link to the video of the service. I can't tell you how strongly I feel their story will help you but I know it will:

http://rebeccacooks.blogspot.com/

Rebecca just finished writing a book with her mom about trusting in God after only having her newborn daughter alive for 7 days. Every day knowing it could be her last.

Anyway, just know I WILL be praying for all of you and would love to be ANY type of support system that you feel you may need when we come out next month.

Love,
jen }i{

jen }i{ said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
jen }i{ said...

I also forgot to mention that Rebecca just buried her second child so if you read about that and are confused, that's why. In one year, she's lost two babies. She delivered her baby girl last year, not knowing she was so critical. After finding out about complications with the pregnancy of her son, recently, she chose to be induced.

I share all of this because sometimes it helps to not feel so alone in pain. Also, because her strength in God is so admirable and contagious throughout such deep pain. I know you are strong as well. I just hope, in some way, that her story/strength will help even more.

I love you girl!

Jackie Wonders :: photography blog said...

i love you guys. all 5 of you. i am so so sorry that you have to experience this awful thing. but every word you wrote was right, Carly. it sucks a lot, but you know that the Lord has his hands on you and the family. that's the most important part. know that you all will be in our prayers and your courage and transparent heart is such a powerful tool for the Lord.
love, Jax

RevKev said...

Carly & Joe,

I am so sorry... I've begun praying even now as I read this. Please let me know if there's anything else we can do for you. For now, I'm praying for his peace that passes understanding to guard your hearts...

In Christ,
Kevin

Baby Heinz said...

oh carly..my heart breaks for you. I am praying for you that you will be comforted and that you will experience God's love in such a powerful way. you are precious in His sight. much love to you and your fam. love, tamara

Elizabeth said...

Our prayers are with you and your family Carly. I am so sorry.

Unknown said...

I love you. You are such a glowing testimony to Christ as you lean on Him. I will be beside you every step of the way, just as you've always been beside me. I'm here whenever you're ready.

B&O said...

Our family has you and your family in our thoughts and prayers ..please know this Love Anna and Jesse

Anonymous said...

Carly and Joe -
I am so sad to hear this news. I am praying that you will feel like God is holding you close in a big ol' hug. The image that comes to mind is from the "Footprints" poem - when life is at its hardest, that is when God is carrying you. I pray that God will shower you with love and comfort and a sureness about whatever decisions lie ahead.
Anna

Yvonne said...

I am Valerie's cousin and she just told me your news. I will be holding you in prayer, for strength and right action. There is a blog that I have followe that might be of interest to you "Bring the Rain" and the address is:
http://audreycaroline.blogspot.com/

If you start at the beginning, you will hear the courageous story and struggle of a family going through something similar to your trial. She also has links to some other sites.

I can only begin to imagine the sadness that fills you, but know that you will be lifted and loved through this...

debby said...

Dear, Sweet Carly,

You and your beautiful family are in my thoughts and prayers. You are so right that no words can heal your pain, but know that many, many people love you and are praying for strength and peace as you go through this difficult journey.
Love,
Debby

Unknown said...

Carly and Joe, Em and I love you both very much and will be praying for you during this difficult time. I cannot imagine what you are going through but I know you and I know our Lord so that gives me confidence that you will get through it. Be assured of our love and prayers.

Justin and Emilie

Matt Richter said...

This hymn was writ­ten af­ter two ma­jor trau­mas in Spaf­ford’s life. The first was the great Chi­ca­go Fire of Oc­to­ber 1871, which ru­ined him fi­nan­cial­ly (he had been a weal­thy bus­i­ness­man). Short­ly af­ter, while cross­ing the At­lan­tic, all four of Spaf­ford’s daugh­ters died in a col­li­sion with an­o­ther ship. Spaf­ford’s wife Anna sur­vived and sent him the now fa­mous tel­e­gram, “Saved alone.” Sev­er­al weeks lat­er, as Spaf­ford’s own ship passed near the spot where his daugh­ters died, the Ho­ly Spir­it in­spired these words. They speak to the eter­nal hope that all be­liev­ers have, no mat­ter what pain and grief be­fall them on earth.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll;
Whatever my lot, Thou has taught me to say,
It is well, it is well, with my soul.

Refrain

It is well, with my soul,
It is well, with my soul,
It is well, it is well, with my soul.

Though Satan should buffet, though trials should come,
Let this blest assurance control,
That Christ has regarded my helpless estate,
And hath shed His own blood for my soul.

Refrain

My sin, oh, the bliss of this glorious thought!
My sin, not in part but the whole,
Is nailed to the cross, and I bear it no more,
Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul!

Refrain

For me, be it Christ, be it Christ hence to live:
If Jordan above me shall roll,
No pang shall be mine, for in death as in life
Thou wilt whisper Thy peace to my soul.

Refrain

But, Lord, ‘tis for Thee, for Thy coming we wait,
The sky, not the grave, is our goal;
Oh trump of the angel! Oh voice of the Lord!
Blessèd hope, blessèd rest of my soul!

Refrain

And Lord, haste the day when my faith shall be sight,
The clouds be rolled back as a scroll;
The trump shall resound, and the Lord shall descend,
Even so, it is well with my soul.

Refrain