I know I make some grammar mistakes (definitely don't think I'm the whiz kid at this stuff). Also, some rules actually change every few years and obviously since I'm no longer in school I am not "in the know." A professor I had proved it to us when she pulled out two identical grammar books, one just a later edition. Weird I always thought those things were etched in stone.
Anyway, I know a lot of people could use this refresher: (I didn't happen to look these up anywhere, I just made this up)
"There" = A place. As in, "Jane is over there."
"Their" = A possessive pronoun. As in, "It would be in their best interest to listen to the professor."
"They're" = A contraction, meaning "They are." As in, "They're going to be here in five minutes." If you are using this word, just substitute "They are" for "They're" to make sure it makes sense. For example, someone could write, "Jonas threw the toy over they're."
"Jonas threw the toy over they are" just doesn't make sense, so in this case, the correct word would be "there."
Oh, and let's not forget the difference between to, too, and two.
To is a prepostion; too is an adverb; two is a number. "Too many of your shots slice to the left, but the last two were right on the mark."
Okay, now that that is off my chest I feel better. I hope the major offenders read this and change they're ways. JUST KIDDING! Let's try this again: I hope the major offenders read this and change their ways.
5 comments:
Hilarious and PERFECT! I am write they're with you. (I mean: I am right there with you!) I really don't think the "there/their/they're" rule is THAT hard, but I feel like EVERYONE missed that lesson in the 3rd grade (or whenever we learned it). Thanks for the great post!
So why the English lesson on these words??? Who sparked the pet peeve tirade? Wuv you.
Everyone, that's who!
When I chat online with Luke he always signs off with "gotta go, buy" just to make me squirm. lol Although my biggest pet peve is when people put punctuation outside of quotation marks...which I catch every once in a while in a published book.
LOL this cracks me up!
Many years ago there was a condo complex just off of the Johnson exit from the I8 here in El Cajon... they were renting and had a BIG banner that said, "You r New Home" and someone had put white tape over the ' and the e because whoever ordered the banner requested it say "You're New Home"... Still makes me laugh.
Post a Comment